Wednesday 9 August 2017

Review- The Dark Tower (2017)

Image via imdb.com
 The Dark Tower is based on the book of the same name by Stephen King. It combines elements from 8 novels with Idris Elba playing Roland Deschain, the Last Gunslinger who has been battling Walter O'Dim, the Man in Black (Matthew McConaughey) and trying to stop him from toppling the Dark Tower which holds the universe together. I don't know if it's the fact that I had really high expectations for this film but I was a bit disappointed. I never read any of the books but that shouldn't have stopped me from enjoying it. I was particularly excited to see two actors I really love on screen together, but at the end of the day, they were the only good things about this film because they both killed their roles. 
Image via imdb.com
I try not to read reviews before going to see a movie, only the scores and The Dark Tower scored really low on Rotten Tomatoes with 18% and 34/100 on Metacritc. Even after seeing this, I still went into the theater with high hopes, which only dropped a few minutes into the film. I'm still trying to understand why and how they squeezed 8 books into a 95 minute film. This adaptation was a total failure. From what I've seen on the internet, the books were really good and it's just sad that they couldn't get it right with the film. If you watched the trailer, then you've basically seen the film. 
Image via imdb.com
The fight scenes were quite good, especially the ones with Roland shooting in slow motion. Asides from this, every other thing felt like a total mess. The Dark Tower would have been better with a good script and a better director. I actually thought of walking out but I just wanted to see how it would end. My love for Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey literally kept me going till the end. The movie is very slow paced, boring and forgettable. I'll advice you not to see The Dark Tower except it's from your laptop screen. This was a poor adaptation to a fantastic book series.

RATING 5/10
GENRE Fantasy/Science Fiction 
DIRECTOR Nikolaj Arcel
SCREENPLAY Akiva Goldsman, Jeff Pikner, Andre Thomas Jensen, Nikolaj Arcel
BASED ON The Dark Tower by Stephen King
STARRING Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey, Tom Taylor, Claudia Kim, Fran Kranz, Abbey Lee, Jackie Earle Haley
RUNNING TIME 1hr 35mins
I'd love you guys to follow me on Twitter HERE and on Instagram HERE. Feel free to also subscribe to the blog. Thank you for reading.
Previous Post
Next Post

0 comments:

Please Do Not Forget To BookMark"๐ŸŒŸ" My Website. Thanks For Visiting My Website