Thursday 24 August 2017

Review- Detroit (2017)

Poster via imdb.com
A police raid in Detroit in 1967 results in one of the largest race riots in United States history. The story is centered around the Algiers Motel incident, which occurred in Detroit, Michigan on July 25, 1967, during the racially charged 12th Street Riot. The riot becomes extremely violent and the National Guard and Army are approved by the Governor to help with the situation. The events that took place in the motel led to the death of three black men and the brutal beatings of nine other people: seven black men and two white women. Going into the theater, I honestly didn't know what to expect because I didn't read about the film. I only saw the trailer and was excited John Boyega (who reminds me of a young Denzel Washington) and Anthony Mackie were going to star. Everything about this film was on point. The script, the directing and the acting was great and the characters were played by the perfect people. I feel like Will Poulter deserves an award for his performance as Officer Krause, he delivered on every level. He played the detestable villain so well, I was shocked. 
Image via tricityherald.com
I also loved Boyega as Melivin Dismukes and Algee Smith as Larry Reed. These three people delivered superb performances which are all Oscar worthy. The other cast members which includes Anthony Mackie, Jacob Latimore, Hannah Murray, Jason Mitchell and Kaithlyn Denver all killed their roles as well. My head was filled with so many questions and I had this weird feeling in my stomach watching this film. I kept wondering how the real people must have felt during and after the events that took place at the Algiers Hotel. I won't lie, I shed a few tears during the hotel scene. I'll have to commend the writer, Mark Boal (Zero Dark Thirty) and the director, Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty) for squeezing a major riot and event into an almost 3 hour film. I'm sure it wasn't easy to do and I was hooked from the first scene till the credits rolled. It was gripping and tense and as the story continued, it got more sad and depressing. There's no reason why you shouldn't see Detroit while its still showing in the cinemas. Go see it and thank me later. 

RATING-10/10
GENRE Periodic Crime Drama
DIRECTOR Kathryn Bigelow
WRITER Mark Boal
STARRING John Boyega, Will Poulter, Algee Smith, Jason Mitchel, John Krasinski, Anthony Mackie, Hannah Murray, Kaithlyn Denver, Jacb Latimore
RUNNING TIME 2hr 23mins
I'd love you guys to follow me on Twitter and Instagram. Feel free to also subscribe to the blog. Thank you for reading
Previous Post
Next Post

0 comments:

Please Do Not Forget To BookMark"๐ŸŒŸ" My Website. Thanks For Visiting My Website